Blandford is a market town steeped in history since its origins in the 9th century, but characterised by its unique Georgian town centre created after a fire in 1731 destroyed most of the buildings. The resultant rebuilding by architects and craftsmen of the time earned its description by architectural historian Nicholas Pevsner as ‘a most satisfying Georgian ensemble’ with which hardly any other town could compare. Today, a thriving and bustling centre now serving its own growing population and that of the numerous surrounding villages, and taking pride in its wide variety of independent and national shops and businesses, markets, services and recreational facilities.
Keep fit and healthy at the Blandford Leisure Centre with its state-of-the-art gym and swimming facilities, including a 25 metre pool, large children’s pool and relaxing Nordic sauna. A huge range of group exercise classes offer something for everyone regardless of fitness levels and goals. The sports halls host a wide variety of sports and activities. So, pay us a visit to relax, unwind, work out or enjoy food and drink in our cafe.
As a town on the river Stour with the largest population of young families in north Dorset, the Blandford Leisure Centre is a family friendly, very popular and highly valued asset much enjoyed by people in the town, from the outlying villages and visitors alike.
The Town Team is committed to promoting the Blandford Leisure Centre and ensuring its future is strongly supported by local government. https://www.everyoneactive.com/centre/blandford-leisure-centre/
Monday May 13: Swann Recruitment Fair, Corn Exchange, Blandford, 9am to 4pm Blandford Floral Group meets United Reformed Church Hall,
An evening of cocktail demonstrations, canapes, gin bottling and music with Alex GingerViking, Corn Exchange, Blandford, 7pm to 10pm. Tickets
Tuesday May 21: Child Okeford Flower Arranging Club, 'Tablescapes', a practical workshop, Child Okeford Village Hall, 2.15pm, details: 01258 863775
Strictly Come Tea Dancing at the Corn Exchange, Market Place, Blandford Forum, live music from the Soggy Biscuit Dance Band
The Town Team obtained Lidll 106 grant funding to install tourism signs on the by-pass to promote the attractions of the town and the local area to visitors and the passing public. These provide important physical promotion as part of the marketing package aimed at bringing more people into the Blandford area.
Pay monthly websites for £30 per month, built within 48 hours!
The house forms the central part of a large Victorian building which was built as the choristers’ house for St. Martin’s church, Bryanston, by the Portman family who then owned the estate. The estate is now home to Byranston School. Built in approx 1886 the house was originally called St Martin’s House, but this name appears to have been dropped in the l940s after the house was divided. The northern section was again divided in the early eighties and we bought the middle part shortly afterwards. Having gradually brought the heart of the building back to its former elegance, we felt it to be only right to also reinstate its original name! Although the whole building, and our central part, has undergone many changes, the principal features were fortunately left intact. We particularly love the huge etched and stained glass window in the stairwell. We have had many years of restoring damaged (one might even say vandalised!) mouldings and architraves, stripping back wooden features to show off the beauty of the grain. Now re-wired, re-plumbed, with central heating throughout and a bathroom for every bedroom, St. Martin’s is once again elegant, comfortable and a much loved home. We hope that
Blandford’s brilliant monthly community magazine – news, views and events